Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Something Stupid..

"I love you" he replied, almost mecahnically.
It was a game they played. Like a volley. He did not know if he meant it, not even what it meant.
Sure he cared about her. And desired her. And loved to be with her. And got a nasty little twinge when she paid more attention to others. But did he love her? In the all consuming way that one reads so often about? He did not know. And I guess he did not care.
He had her. Mind and body. She was meant to be his own. Always there beside him. An extention of his self. He posessed her, or so he thought until he pushed her too far.
It was hell. How could she leave? That wasn't how things were supposed to be. He was hurt, lonely, afraid, indignant.. ashamed at his deed and his weakness. Why did it hurt so much? Was it because he loved her? He did not know. But this time around, he did care.
One fateful night of revelry. He had her again, mind and body. But it wasn't enough. Something did not feel the way it used to. Is that what he missed, that undefinable something that he could feel but never express? Was that love?
"Must be" he said to himself.
"I love you" he replied, almost mechanically.
This time around though, he knew he meant it. He always had.

Something Stupid - Frank Sinatra
I know I stand in line, until you think you have the time
To spend an evening with me
And if we go someplace to dance, I know that theres a chance
You wont be leaving with me

And afterwards we drop into a quiet little place
And have a drink or two
And then I go and spoil it all, by saying something stupid
Like: I love you

I can see it in your eyes, that you despise the same old lies
You heard the night before
And though its just a line to you, for me its true
It never seemed so right before

I practice every day to find some clever lines to say
To make the meaning come through
But then I think I'll wait until the evening gets late
And Im alone with you

The time is right your perfume fills my head, the stars get red
And oh the nights so blue
And then I go and spoil it all, by saying something stupid
Like: I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment